We were approached by a developer to design two family homes on a site previously occupied by one 1940’s house in a quiet cul de sac.
The site is rectangular and slopes to the west looking out across the tree covered, undulating Remuera hills. This house sits on the rear site, and the design of the front lot was carefully considered to maximise views and sunlight across both lots. The house was considered as a courtyard house, with the rear wall of the second house forming the northern boundary thus providing privacy to the outdoor living area.
The design was intended to reference the ‘60s modern houses that pepper the hills of Remuera and Meadow Bank. A straightforward parti, arranged across the site as a long rectangle, with living areas downstairs opening out to the pool and a more enclosed cedar box above, containing the bedrooms and an upstairs living areas.